Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Where has the time gone?

Wow, it has been a while. We've been changing internet service providers and it has been an ordeal. Well, we finally got the internet back up and now it's time to catch up on my knitting stuff. So, what have I been working on? A bunch of stuff. I've made some progress on Spanky's sweater. I find myself getting bored with plain garter stitch pretty quickly so this piece can really only hold my interest for about 30 minutes or if I'm sitting around talking to others and not paying attention to the knitting so much. It makes a nice feeling fabric and I know Spanky will like it if I ever get it done.

I've also made some progress on my sock. It's slow going, again I'm just not motivated by the plain knit stitch around and around and around and again. I get dizzy just thinking about it. I think I'm doing better with the tension now and I decreased down to 60 stitches around the foot area. I've actually tried it on and it fits great in the foot area. As of Sunday it is about 1/2 inch from my toes which is when I start decreasing for the toe area and the end of the sock. Oh my, how exciting!
I've been knitting purely from my yarn stash lately and I decided to dig a little deeper this past week to some stuff I've had for quite a while. I found this orangey/yellow sort of bulky and shiny yarn and combined it with some Boa I bought a long time ago and viola. The scarf is pretty simple with garter for 3 ridges and then stockinette until I got tired, then back to garter and That's All Folks. The hat was fun. I cast on some circular needles and knit about 1 1/2" of ribbing then switched to just knitting so I would get a stockinette cap. Well, then I got to thinking and end up dividing the 60 stitches into 6 groups and I did a purl stitch at each start of the group. So basically I knit 10, purl 1, knit 10 ..., then, on the next row, I knit the purl stitch and then purled the next stitch instead. So what I ended up with is a really cool swirl pattern around the hat. The hat's a little loose on me, but I love em.
I also treated myself to a couple of knitting related items these past couple of weeks. I had some gift cards and Ebay money and decided I needed a treat. I got a super cheap copy of Knit Two Together with Tracy Ullman and a LYS (Local Yarn Store) owner from her neck of the woods. The book is a lot of fun and a couple of the patterns are intriguing. We'll see how adventurous I feel. I also got a copy of The Twisted Sisters Sock Workshop.
The most exciting thing I got is my new set of stitch markers.
Aren't they adorable. I'm sorry, but these just totally appeal to a very irreverant side of me. I love 'em. They look especially adorable when knitting assorted baby gear. :) Sometimes, I am just so wrong. Anyway, I got these on Etsy at SeeJayneKnit's shop. She's got some great stitch markers and some beautiful looking yarn. She was great to deal with and I am thrilled with the markers. And also inspired....

P.S. Yes, the hat is too big, but the colors are wonderful! Who would have thought I would need a bigger head?


2 comments:

knititch said...

thanks for your nice comments on my tomten and my fast cap on flickr. it is funny i am knitting for a friend in the revolutionary latin american colours as well. are you knitting with those colours for a particular reason.
great blog. knit on.

Zillah said...

Hey, thanks for the nice comment. Your the first person I don't actually know so that's kind of cool. To answer your question, I was using those colors because my brother is getting ready to spend the next year in Colombia and he wanted his camera case to be the colors of their flag. It's actually a small version of the flag. :) Thanks for commenting!