Saturday, September 27, 2008

Invasion of the Tampods!

A long time ago, I posted about a little project I was working on but I didn't want to give any details until I made some progress. Well, progress has been made and I would like to introduce you to the amazing "Tampods."
As a woman, I've always hated that "special time of the month" when I would have to conceal my "feminine hygiene" products as I walked down the long hallway at work to use the restroom. Or, I would have to carry my entire purse down the hall which isn't exactly discreet. Once upon a time, I had a simple little plastic case I would use for the trip but it was lost long ago. So, I decided it was time to see what I could knit for this function. Now I have knit a bunch of what I am fondly naming "Tampods." Each of these little cuties will hold 2-3 tampons and they'll look cute while doing it. The green one at the top of the picture is fully loaded. :) So far the people I've shown these to like them and I think they'll make cute little stocking stuffers for friends.

We've got more babies on the way with a number of women at work pregnant so I've been busy working on baby gifts. Baby projects are really the perfect little projects in my opinion. They are small, quick to knit, colorful, and so darned cute!! I dug into my stash and made this cute little hat with some Vanna's Choice leftovers I had. It's just a simple rolled brim hat that doesn't even have shaping, based on the formula form Knitting Rules by the Yarn Harlot. I just knit it straight up in the round and then pulled all the stitches together at the top and added the Pom Pom. I had a little trouble with the color changes in a couple of areas but the mom is a new knitter and I think she appreciated it. I did get requests for three more hats from some of the other women so I guess it was well received. : ) Lastly, a quick update on the garden. I have proven I am not a gardener because this thing has just overwhelmed me I think. It just went totally crazy. Grow, brown up and seem to die, perk back up and grow a bunch more, brown up and seem to die...well, you get the picture. I just didn't know what to think. Well, today I went out and I've got 6 watermelon of decent size growing on vines that don't even look alive. And the tomato plants have dozens of green tomatoes. I'm so confused. One of the watermelon came off of the vine so I decided to see what it looked like inside since I have no idea how to tell if it's ripe or not. So, I grabbed the machete (yes, we have a machete, you would too in my neighborhood) and hacked the watermelon right in half. It was really kinda fun. :) Imagine my surprise when I saw the tinge of pink on the inside. It's really giving me hope for the other 6 still attached to the vines. Who knows, I might be eating my own homegrown watermelon sometime this year after all.

No comments: