Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Little Things

On of the things I am spending more time thinking about in my life is the need to spend more time appreciating the little things. This sounds really cliche but if you really think about it, nothing could be more true. If we don't take the time to appreciate the little things in life that make us happy then how happy can we really be? The way I figure it, the more individual minutes you take to appreciate something that makes you happy, the more individual minutes you are actually happy in your life.

So here's the first "Little Thing" that made me happy these last couple of weeks. I got pictures of my niece in the Fiona Sundress I made for her. How could this sight not make an auntie happy?
I made this dress with some Peaches and Cream 100% Cotton yarn from my stash and I am just thrilled with how it turned out. I made the 18 month size and Eva is about 16 months right now so the sizing seems pretty good. She might even get two seasons out of it if she wears it as a top with little jeans or something next summer. She's got a little growing room but I think it looks great!
Then again, what wouldn't look cute on that little girl?
I also took some time to appreciate some beautiful handspun yarn one of my aunts gifted to me a while ago. I found this great pattern for the "Spring Cap" by Woolly Wormhead and I figured it would be a great fit for the yarn. Well, what do you think?
I am really happy with it. If I do the hat pattern again, I will make it a bit taller than the 4" recommended to give it a little more slouch next time. The colors of the handspun really look great and make a subtle sort of striping pattern. Really cute!
Enjoying a little sunlight this past weekend I pulled out the pair of socks I finished a little while ago and gave them a photog session. Like most things, they look even better in the sun! (not to mention with feet in them).
I took a little time this week to appreciate the chaotic yet slightly hypnotic colors of the recycled sari silk yarn from my stash. I'm working on something making me think of a lot of little things but those will have to be shared in another post once the finished product is gifted.
I took a little time to learn a new technique. I have this great Mini Mochi yarn to make a pair of socks. I have one skein per sock and the skeins together are only 390 yds. The recipient of the socks has larger feet so I wanted to make sure I was making these socks as tall as possible without running out of yarn. Well, that means only one thing, start from the toe and knit your way up the leg until you run out of yarn. Cool, time to figure out how to do that. I found the "Lifestyle Toe Up Socks" recipe, so to speak, on Ravelry and I got started. I started by learning Judy's Magic Cast-On (surprisingly easy), increased for the toe and started my way up the foot using a garter rib pattern on the top of the sock.
It is pretty neat to be able to slip this on the foot and check it's progress as you move along. I was worried it was too big but when it was tried on, it seems to fit just right. Neat. The striping of the yarn is fantastic but it's a bit splitty and I might look for some needles with sharper points to use to finish these up.
I went to the zoo and saw this not-so-little Little Thing.
I love baby elephants! I could have watched this little guy play for hours.

How about a little pink to take your breath away?
I took a walk and came around the corner of one of the alleys and found this.
A much more pleasant smell than the usual found in the alleys and definitely beautiful.
And I took some time to remember those who've moved on and all the little things they took with them. I am dedicating time each day to appreciate these Little Things in life and I hope you do too.


No comments: