Thursday, August 19, 2010

End of Summer


So traffic on the way to work keeps getting heavier as schools start the new year and I feel a need to just get away. I decided to take a couple of days off and enjoy the end of the summer season. I often walk the dogs through this "naturalized" area of a local park and I have really enjoyed watching it change over the course of the seasons. Today as I rounded the corner to the walking path mown through the area, I encountered thousands of beautiful sunflowers.
My companions intrigued by local wildlife as we take a break in the shade.
My tomato plants had a rough time this year. I was worried about the signs of early blight I saw on the plants when an early morning sight clarified where the real threat lay. Spanky, the puppy in the red harness above has developed a huge craving for tomatoes. 2 days ago I checked the plants and found about 2 dozen cherry tomatoes just starting to blush with red. Yesterday I walked outside and realized the slight ring of green I had seen around Spanky's neck earlier in the day could be directly attributed to the fact that I no longer had a single tomato on my plants. Thankfully one of my coworkers brought it some homegrown tomatoes and I was able to enjoy the beautiful dinner pictured below. The basil from my garden was amazing with the yummy home grown tomatoes and fresh mozzarella. I added a dash of balsamic vinaigrette and olive oil and broke up a piece of nan I had left over from my Indian Food Extravaganza last Sunday. Anyway, it makes a beautiful plate and a yummy dinner.
Don't know if I showed these before but what pretty socks! I really like this Mini Mochi sock yarn and while I had to be careful with the splitty nature at times; the color change is fabulous and the end result is really soft and cozy.
Lastly, some pretty pictures of what I'm calling My Poison. It's the pattern for "My So Called Scarf" and a yarn from 100 Pure Wool, color named "Poison." See, aren't I clever. :) Here's a close up of the stitch pattern. Really pretty.
Here it is soaking in the sink. Just kinda cool
I also spent some time making a big patch of Pesto with my basil plant that needed to be used, and I mean now. And lastly, Hummus and fresh chicken stock from scratch. I am feeling very domestic and honestly enjoying every minute!

No comments: