Sunday, February 10, 2008

Variety is the Spice of Life...

Babies, babies, babies, they're coming out of the woodwork. Or so it seems around my workplace. I have 5 just born or upcoming babies from my coworkers and I kind of like knitting them a little something. This bib is knit for one of the other designers I work with who has a little guy on the way. I love these two yarns together and I think this is such a nice bib and it's not Baby Blue! I also modified the pattern a bit by making the one long strap instead of two little ones. The thought being you can stand in front of your kid and button the bib. A mom in my office thought this sounded like a good idea and some other women on Ravelry have recommended it so I'm trying it out. It's cute, I think! This is still pretty much the Mason Dixon Bib pattern with rounded corners and the strap modification.
The next project completed is the hat and scarf bound for my friend in Hungary. If you ever check out this page, here's a preview of what's on the way.

This is just a basic beanie hat and a short scarf or neck wrap. I put a hole at one end of the scarf and you thread the other end through and it wraps nice and tight to your neck. Pretty nice really and I hope it is enjoyed (even if it is late).
Next is a pair of men's socks for an overdue gift. When I bought the yarn, I didn't realize it was going to stripe (you can see it here) but it is really pretty neat. The stripes are actually more subtle in person.

I'm doing a basic ribbed sock pattern I found through Ravelry of course (OMG, how did people find anything on knitting before????) and it's moving along really well. It's easy to knit, it has just enough pattern to stay interesting, and the yarn feels pretty good to work with. I'm making these on US 2s for two reason, to get them finished a bit quicker and also make them a bit thinner because the recipient is in CA.
Lastly are a couple of lap throws I'm working on. The first is a Pinwheel blanket using the yarn I bought for another baby blanket. The other blanket was one of those where you knit a butt load of little triangles and then sew them all together. I started looking at that ever growing pile of little triangles I would have to sew together and thought there might be a better use for my time. Therefore, I 've found this pattern to knit all in one piece (YEAH!) and still use all the yarn I already purchase.I adore this blanket. I keep setting it down in front of me and looking at it. It's so simple and yet, just really cool somehow. It's great TV knitting and I'm just changing colors whenever I feel like it. I can't wait to get it finished so I can have it on my lap when knitting the next one! There is one other thing I have to talk about, just a bit, with this one. It's 100% acrylic yarn. Why is that a big deal? Well, a couple of reasons: it's washable, which is a great thing in a house like mine, but it's a bit scratchy. I guess I've finally knit with enough semi-"good" yarn and now I can understand why there are so many "yarn snobs" out there. You really can feel a difference when knitting and no matter how soft the acrylic feels in the skein, it is not the same as knitting with "real" fibers. Wow!
The next throw is the Hemlock Ring by Brooklyntweed. This is one of the wildfire like patterns in the knitting community right now and I wanted to join in. I started this on New Year's weekend and got to row 63 when I realized I had screwed up back on row 35. I was heartbroken. It was looking so beautiful and I love the yarn which is Classy by Dream in Color. It's 100% wool but is superwash so it can be washed, again, very important! I took me until this weekend to be able to get up the nerve to pull out all of those stitches and when I got to row 35 I realized I had actually made another mistake around row 20. :( Well, I have ripped back to row 17 and started again. I'm back up to row 33 and I remember 35 being the real bear before so I'm going to take my time this afternoon and get through the icky stuff. I still love the yarn and the pattern and now that I'm back in the groove, I think I'll get over the trauma of ripping out all those hours of stitches.
I leave you with a picture of the great stash of buttons given to me by a very sweet friend. I plan on getting some good use out of these little jewels. THANKS!

No comments: