Sunday, March 1, 2009

Step Number One

For those of you who might be reading this blog entry and you don't actually knit, what I'm about to say may not make a lot of sense to you. Why? Because it reflects a severe obsession with yarn and if you are not a knitter, you just might think I'm a bit off somehow. For you knitters out there, I think you'll understand just what I'm saying. So here it goes...

For Christmas, I was lucky enough to get to pick any skein of yarn I wanted from Dyeabolical Yarns as part of an exchange my lovely partner worked up. So, with no effort or money required of me (wow), I got to go to http://www.dyeabolicalyarns.etsy.com/ and pick out any skein I wanted for my Christmas gift. Well, Rachel dyes some beautiful yarn and it was really hard to decide which one I wanted. I love her sock yarn, which I used to make my first pair of Jaywalkers, but I was thinking it was time for something different. I wanted to try a real lace pattern so lace yarn it was. I picked a beautiful blue kettle dyed yarn and now it was time to find the right pattern to show it off. You see, the yarn is amazing.

It's soft. The colors move back and forth and when it's all pooled together it feels and looks like ripples in water. So looking for the right pattern was more difficult than it sounds. It needed to have enough stitch pattern to keep me interested but not so much as to interfere with the color variation in the yarn. I wanted something to show off these beautiful colors and after a LOT of searching, I decided on a lace stole called "Upstairs." I'm linking to the Ravelry page since it's from a German (I think) on-line knitting mag and I don't speak German. I found it through Ravelry. :)
So last weekend, I printed the pattern and got started on the stole. Now, this pattern is not difficult but it is little tiny yarn. I worked for a couple of hours during a movie and I got half of the first repeat finished. From what I can see so far, I think the pattern is going to be just right for this yarn. It is so pretty and I already can't help rubbing it against my arm and such to enjoy the feel of the soft yarn.
I've also been working on my most recent pair of socks. I've decided to just try to always have a pair of socks on the needles so there is always a small, quick to grab project available when I'm running out the door. The pair I am working on now is another pattern from the Little Box of Socks called Waves and Piers. I bought some KnitPicks Essential Sock Yarn with a self striping pattern and I thought this pattern would really show it off. Also, since I can't seem to knit things without tinkering with the pattern a bit, I am using the Strong Heel from the Roman Rib sock pattern in the same collection. Well, I got the first sock all finished and started the second from the second ball of yarn. Now, I tried to make sure I started the cast on in about the same place of the yarn repeats but either I REALLY screwed up or the yarn did.
You see, I love the striping in the first and yet the second doesn't look anything like it. I checked and the dye lots are the same so I don't know if it's me or the yarn. I like the way both of them look, I just wish they looked a bit more like each other. I also bought the yarn for my next pair of socks but I'll save that for another post.
I'm continuing to work on various stitch patterns while using up my cotton yarn by making dishtowels. So cool. The one above is Mosaic pattern #20 from Barbara Walker's Mosaic Knitting book. Fun to do, pretty to look at, and oh so useful. I love dishtowels.

Lastly, I just wanted to touch on some "outside the box" thinking I've done since I'm a little impressed with myself. :) I've been looking for a little container to put in each of my project bags that could hold stitch markers, safety pins, a little bit of yarn, a darning needle, and when I can afford it, a pair of those cute little fold up scissors. I was looking for a container small enough to fit in my project bags but I also wanted something rigid and maybe see through. So one day I'm sitting in the bathroom, I look up and lo and behold...the perfect little container.

Works pretty nice and it will even fit the little scissors when I get them. And best yet, I've got a continual supply of them for free...well, sort of, considering the cost of what comes in them the first time. I'm pretty darned pleased and I have made several little on-the-go kits like the one below.
And to end...gratuitous cute kitty picture.





No comments: